The concept of beauty is evolving, redefining the way we think about fashion and what it means to be truly beautiful in today’s culture. For so long, fashion has been about stick thin models wearing meticulously tailored designer clothes, but this is starting to change. People of all sizes and body types are realizing that celebrating their unique beauty is the way to true body positivity, and plus size women are leading the charge. Breaking stereotypes, plus size women are embracing their curves and making waves in the fashion industry. Let’s take a look at how the times are changing, and celebrate the plus size fashionistas who are revolutionizing the world of fashion.
1. Owning it: Challenging the Status Quo
Challenging the status quo means owning your personal power and making a difference. In this section, we’ll discuss a few of the steps you can take to own it and go above and beyond.
First, learn to listen to yourself. Taking the time to reflect on what you want, what you feel, and how you want to handle situations is essential. Being able to trust your inner voice will give you the confidence to pursue what matters to you, and ultimately, challenge the status quo.
Second, get comfortable with being uncomfortable. When you strive to stand apart from the crowd, you will likely experience some negative comments, resistance, or reluctance from people around you. It takes courage to stand your ground in the face of adversity. However, when you are strong and determined, you can break through and set the example for true change.
- Really pay attention to your feelings and instincts.
- Find like-minded people who share your passion.
- Be proactive in pursuing opportunities to improve the status quo.
2. Harnessing the Power of Body Positivity
Investing in Self-Affirmations
Building self-esteem and feeling positive about your body is an important aspect of self-care. To start, focus on positive affirmations that you can recite to yourself when you’re feeling down. It’s important to recognize that amazing things can come from within and that body positivity is a journey. Don’t get discouraged if the journey has its ups and downs, some days are better than others and that’s okay. Here are some affirmations you can start with:
- My worth is not determined by my size.
- I can be beautiful, strong, and confident in my own skin.
- My body is resilient and capable of amazing things.
Building a Positive Support System
It can be a powerful tool to have an understanding and positive circle of people around you. Connecting with those who will support your body positive journey can be an invaluable source of motivation and help you to stay the course. Whether it’s a friend or a support group, don’t be afraid to be open and honest about how you’re feeling – people are more understanding than you might think. Make sure to also look for activities or causes to get involved in that celebrate body positivity. Being surrounded by a positive atmosphere and individuals who support you is a great way to build on your journey.
3. Embracing Plus Size: Reimagining the Runway
The plus-size revolution is transforming the world of fashion, from department stores to runways. From inclusive high-end designer collections to more inclusive offerings from more accessible brands, it is clear that the industry is embracing real size diversity. There are a few key factors contributing to this shift.
- Models: A wider range of body types are being featured at fashion shows, not just the traditional sample size 8. Vogue rightly called this ‘the new era of curvy’.
- Customers: Plus-size shoppers are a significant and visible source of retail revenue and are increasingly demanding the same range of options regardless of size.
- Awareness: The positive body images championed by celebrities, media, influencers and brands.
Runway shows are becoming more inclusive with a greater focus on curves, fit and body type. Designers are stepping up to the challenge of creating items that are tailored with curves in mind and which flatter women of all sizes. Collection pieces are made to fit and celebrate the variety of shapes and sizes. Moreover, pleasure and not shame is the centrepiece of this celebration, applauding beauty in all its forms!
4. Bright Futures Ahead: Normalising Inclusivity in Fashion
As the fashion industry strives for a more sustainable future, it looks to welcome diversity in all its forms. Normalising inclusivity in fashion is an important step forward and could pave the way for positive change.
A Growing Appetite for Diversity
Achieving fashion’s need for inclusivity starts with understanding the state of the market. According to a report from McKinsey & Company, the natural-growth portion of the fashion industry is primarily driven by ‘lower-income, multiethnic consumers’. This points to a growing demand for diversity – not only in actual garment designs and sizes, but within the marketing and facilitation of fashion as well.
Gearing Up for Change
- Examining ideal sizes and silhouettes.
- Uprooting discriminatory practices.
- Integrating nuanced approaches to fashion.
- Mentoring a generation of influencers who are inspired by diversity.
By actively committing to changes like the ones listed, brands can start to drive the fashion industry towards a more open and diverse future. These steps will enable greater representation in fashion, and help to reshape the industry’s perception of beauty. Even small movements can bring about a brighter tomorrow for fashion.
5. Applauding Plus Size Women: Celebrating Self-Confidence
In the fashion world today, it can be easy to get swept away by body ideals and standards. However, the times are changing for the better. Plus size women are being applauded for their courage, strength, and self-confidence.
- No Longer Being Excluded – A more encouraging environment is rising across the board. All types of women are not only welcomed on the runway, but celebrated for their beauty.
- Breaking Down Barriers – Women of various body types are now applauded for owning their bodies and representing them proudly. Not only is this inspiring other plus size women, but it’s inspiring all women.
Embracing one’s body is an incredibly valuable thing and these plus size women have found the courage to stand proud and break the boundaries of what is “acceptable” when it comes to body shape. This is an amazing feat and it’s inspiring many to feel strong and beautiful in their own skin.
Advocating for the accurate representation of plus-size women in the fashion industry shows great potential in shattering outdated stereotypes. By coming together to celebrate their beauty, plus-size women have reclaimed their place in the world of fashion, and their mark will be felt for generations to come. We’ve seen a movement unfurl right before our very eyes and now it’s time to keep the momentum going. Let’s break down the stereotypes, one fashion look at a time!
Leave a Comment